Tuesday, January 3, 2012

{kid craft} Paper garlands

Don't be fooled by my handmade Christmas posts. I'm seriously challenged when it comes to crafts. And I'm not kidding when I say that I can't cut a straight line.

I still try. And I need to try more with my kids.

They loved doing Christmas crafts and making gifts for family and friends. They were very serious about it. For about half an hour. But still.

Big brother will start school this year. We need to practice drawing, cutting and basically everything arts and crafts. Also, my number one goal for 2012 is more fun with the kids.

So what does a newby blogger do? Yep, start a challenge. Like one craft per week with the kids. Doesn't have to be fancy, I'll leave that to the pros and scrapbookers out there. I recently got a book about 100 craft projects your kids should have done (it's a German one, see here), and I will use this as a starting point.



So for week 1, we did simple paper garlands. You know, the ones you remember from when you were a kid: fold, cut, unfold. I told you I'm not doing fancy here. This is more about mommy trying to spend some time crafting simple things with the brothers and not some cool, never seen before craft tutorials. Hope that's ok for you.

We had fun though, especially big brother, who was working on a heart garland for his preschool girlfriend, who's out sick this week.


 Cutting out hearts.
 And decorating them.

Little brother was more interested in mommy's computer.


Drawing flowers. Sunflowers, actually. With seeds. For the birds.


Little brother adding the seat belts to mommy's badly drawn passengers. Oh yeah, of course we did a car garland for him. What did you expect?


Then he started cutting the cars apart. Because, "Mommy, they can't have headlight when they're stuck togther!" Ah. Of course.


Oh, and sorry for the bad photos. One of my photography goals is to finally work out that white balance thing. I need to figure out how to manually adjust it...


"Look Mommy, that's our house, and that over there is Fiona's". Ah. And no, that was not big brother's drawing. It was me.

Any suggestions for next week? I'm letting the kids look through the book and decide but maybe you have some ideas as well for those who need practice cutting a straight line.

Happy crafting,
Swenja

5 comments:

  1. That looked like so much fun! Man . . . I miss being young! I don't have any kids . . . wonder if my pets would do crafts with me? LOL. Your kids will definitely look back (after they pass the bratty teen-aged years) and love all that quality time you spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, why have I never done these before?
    Planning my usual valentines day party and those garlands would be greta.
    And the houses?
    How cute!
    Thanks fo the ideas.
    My kids are going to love these.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT idea for a goal. but be warned: before you know it, you'll be coming up with all sorts of creative ideas and the book will not be needed! and if you get stuck, i've been posting kids crafts over at kidspot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just flicked through your blog and there are heaps of crafts! You're very creative! and those paper doll chains are a favourite of my kids too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chubby fingers crafting! Love that.

    ReplyDelete

I don't know about you, but I love reading comments. That's a hint for you to leave one, btw. Not that I'm begging here. But I do love hearing from you...